Saturday 16 April 2011

B.Y.O.S. (Bring Your Own Storage); Thoughts on Wine and Virtualization

On a recent trip, I sat with a group of partners talking about wine and virtualization (a natural pairing, if I do say so myself). I love a restaurant where I can bring my own wine if I choose, but this isn’t the norm in most restaurants and certainly wasn’t the case on that particular night. Instead, I was locked in to their wine list and could only order what they offered, at a steep markup.

So, what does that have to do with virtualization? Everything, when it comes to virtualizing the storage tier.

Everyone wants flexibility and choice without being locked-in to specific hardware requirements. This choice largely exists today in the server and desktop tiers, thanks to the widespread adoption of virtualization software. But when it comes to the storage tier, hardware vendors act like restaurants – they want to lock you into their proprietary product ...

Full story

No comments: